Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I want a do over!

I've had a rough couple of days with the kids. I'm sure every parent feels that way at some point or another. But I feel like it's kind of early in the winter to have cabin fever set in?! Now I know I don't venture out nearly as much as I used to when it was just the two of them. But this is crazy. Their schedules are all off. And while they sleep through the night, they wake up wicked early and don't stop talking until 8 pm. That's so not cool! My brain needs "quiet time" for at least 20 minutes a day, and it doesn't get it. AT ALL. I know I was blessed that all 3 minis would nap simultaniously from time to time. But they SHOULD nap. It's just our dumb luck(ok it was a conscious decision to buy this tiny house) that they all sleep in the same room. Which means every day at naptime, I have the lovely task of playing a chess game that involves who goes up first, wait them out, then put the next one in for a nap. Hopefully I can put the 3rd up for a nap before the other 2 wake up! It. Was. Exhausting. And still is. But I find myself giving in to my oldest because he's 4 and really doesn't seem that tired at naptime. But come dinner time, he's a disaster. So obviously he still needs even the 40 minutes of down time that he takes when I put him in his room! My daughter who slammed into the terrible twos....also believes she doesn't need sleep. She argues until she passes out, locked in her room at naptime AND bedtime. Fun Fun! And if anyone else is in that room with her, awake or asleep....she's on top of them somehow. And the baby, well, he's moving himself from 2 naps to 1. sllllllowly. He'll take a decent 2-3 hour nap late morning and then have to go in again around 4pm. Then I wake him up for dinner. Lovely.
This morning, the unthinkable happened. We woke up and there was no coffee in the house. The Hubbs ran out to the local gas station prior to going to work and brought home 2 large cups of steaming hot coffee for us! Love him. But it's days like these that you just know you should crawl back into bed and stay there till tomorrow. If only I had someone to call upon to watch the minis. That's exactly what I would have done! I had a grocery store trip lingering over my head because of yet another impending snowstorm hitting NJ tomorrow, and of course, we're low on milk. It was 16 degrees out this morning! (said the Hubbs when he shivered back in the house with our coffee) He needed to leave for work, and I had to manage these crazy minis and get them all ready to go out in the great chill to buy milk and a few other staples. Well, all was kind of going according to plan, when it all just veered off course and quickly. The kids lost it. All were whining, Child 2 wasn't eating, Child 1 pooped in his pants(I SWEAR he only does this when Daddy's around to get his attention and it sets me off ROYALLY!), Child 3 was less than thrilled because his brother and sister woke him up early and he was tired already. Then The Hubbs kept saying "I have to go. I have to go." But WOULDN'T. Not that I want him to go to work. But sometimes he just adds to the crap going on around here. Especially with Child 1. He wants all the Daddy time he can soak up, which I totally understand. But things need to get done too! Like...................getting his shoes on. This simple task(hellooooo velcrooooo) usually takes......a minute? Maybe 2? This morning it was close to 12! Because he was talking to Daddy or watching TV(who put the TV on?!?!?!) or fumbling with the velcro trying to figure out how to open it? What the????? While this is going on, the younger 2 decide it's a good idea to mess with Fat Bastard while he's sleeping in his chair. Great. Not that I like him or anything....but I know what all that poking and prodding feels like when you're trying to sleep......and I don't wish that on anyone. Not to mention that I've almost bit them when they've done it to me, so could hardly blame the dog for doing it!
My steamy cup of coffee was now lukewarm at best.
And definitely wasn't enough to get me through so far.
So now I'm snipping at the Hubbs. "Just go!!!" "Why are you still here?" And he's getting snippy right back. Somehow in the middle of all this, neither one of us accomplished showering today. Ahhhh the joys of parenthood.
So here I sit. Lunch was fed. Groceries are put away. Nick Jr on tv. Child 3 sitting on the floor next to me drinking his milk and clapping for little chunks of banana that I'm holding hostage on my computer desk. And the "background" music is the eldest 2 kids having a screaming contest (literally trying to see who can scream louder and longer) while locked in their room. You see, the baby got his nap today. And I'm just not in the mood to do the dance that is NapTime. I'm too beat today. So I shut them in their room. Told them to stay in their own beds (HA) and to be quiet (double HA) and take naps. It's been 27 minutes. I need a little sanity. These kids can handle some one on one time with each other and will hopefully play hard enough up there that they just pass out! Wishful thinking, I know.
BONUS: The grocery store has a display giving away to the first 1000 customers, a FREE can of Coke!
It's like they knew I needed all the caffeine I could pump into my body today :)
Thank you Shoprite!

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes- how we share a life some days. Except it was -10 here today, I do have coffee in the house and we are all sick. Especially me. I actually called Brock and whined, "Do I really have to feed the baby?". Of course I fed him... but OH! the effort.

    ReplyDelete