Tuesday, February 1, 2011

HUGE NEWS!

No....I'm not pregnant.
And I guess it's not necessarily "huge" news, but I'm friggin excited. The founding editor of Cupcakes Take The Cake, which has been featured in the New York Times and is officially the largest cupcake blog ever, is a fan of my cupcake page on Facebook!!!!!!!  I had sent them a link to my page with a flattering email a while back in the hopes that they'd even look at it and apparently they DID. I'm in awe and kind of freaked out all at the same time. Little ol' me? Getting some real attention for the little cupcakes I make in my home? Wowza. This happened yesterday, so it still fresh in my brain and I'm just not too sure how to react.
In other me news...........I somehow pulled off the hugest order I've taken to date. It was for my sister-in-law's friends kids. They had a big party for their son(4) and daughter(6) with 80 something guests. I made two cupcake cakes, each comprised of approximately 50 cupcakes. The daughter had requested a Beach Barbie(it feels wrong to not capitalize that when I type it and I don't know why?) theme. She loves pink, purple, surfing, dolphins, and everything beachy. The son wanted a Toy Story theme which I took it upon myself to suggest the Andy's Room theme for that. I'll always be my toughest critic, and while the Barbie cake came out really nice, it couldn't stand up to the ridiculous detail on the Toy Story cake. To date, it's my most favorite project yet that I am most excited about. Before you view the picture below, here are a few things you should know : Buzz and Woody are the ONLY things not edible on this entire cake. I tried to make them, but with time constraints and two cakes to make, I cut my losses and sent The Hubbs to the party store where he found these little keychain guys to throw on there. There are no toothpicks holding anything in place or any other supports other than the cardboard platform covered in foil that it sits on. I made the headboard and footboard out of chocolate that I melted and put into a pastry bag. I then used a small decorators tip to follow the design I drew out and went over it a few times so it was thick enough to make the dreaded delivery drive! The base cake is made up of 45 cupcakes and the bed is 12 cupcakes(2 rows of 6 stacked on each other). All the characters, the floor, the bedspread, and the rug were all hand molded out of fondant by me :) The Birthday Boy's name is chocolate.


The only unfortunate thing about this is that the pictures didn't come out so great. The venue was pitch black. And I assembled parts of this once I got there so they didn't fall during delivery and ruin the cake. ie the headboard and stuff. So I couldn't really see what I was taking pictures of.

sneak peak of the inside of the bed


The dinosaur above is "Rex". He's leaning on the signature Pixar ball. And of course he's standing next to Mr. Potato Head.


^Slinky Dog^

detail of the bed before the characters were added. check out the "hardwood" floors!! (fondant)



Now the Beach Barbie cake did come out nice so I'll show you that too I suppose. I just feel that it came up short next to this one. 

The Birthday Girl's name is written in chocolate, and I used the Barbie "B"for an added little touch.
There were some fun little details in this cake. The sand is made of crushed Nilla wafers and makes it smell AMAZING!!!!!! Pretzyl rod dock. Beach towel, hat and flip flops under the palm tree. It was very cute!

even some little seashells by the "water"



So there you have it! I'm beaming with excitement and nerves. This might actually turn into something?!
DEEP BREATHS.






1 comment: