Friday, December 31, 2010

New Years Resolution

I've never been big on the New Year's Resolution thing. Probably because I just didn't want to disappoint myself 10 days later when I completely "forgot" what I was resolving to accomplish.
This year is different.
And for this moment, just right now, I'm hanging up my sarcasm hat that I wear so comfortably.
I feel that we all need a little inspiration now and then. And hopefully you'll gain a little after reading this. If not, that's okay too.
This is mine.

This year I will take care of my family. I will sacrifice everything for them. I will set aside all my comforts and everything I trust, to do what I feel in my heart is right for them. I will do everything in my power to make sure they have what I never did. I will lay the groundwork for my kids to grow up in an environment where they learn to be proud of what they've done, not just to compete to be the best. They will learn to work for what they want and will therefore enjoy it ten times more. Their family will be one they can trust, rely on, learn from, depend on, and of course love. It will be the first place their minds and hearts tell them to go when they are in trouble, not run from. I will discipline my children so that they know right from wrong. I will also let up on the petty things so they can learn for themselves what happens when you slam your toys around, or jump off the couch, or don't hold your cup with two hands. I'll sit back and watch the little lightbulbs above their heads go on, instead of the "uh oh" face that usually shows up. I will aggressively go after and get what I (WE) want for our children. I don't want them to have to work so hard to just make it by the skin of their teeth. I don't want them to live someplace where they have to work so hard that they can't sit back and watch the sunset, or if they can, they have to drive a half hour to see it. I want them to be surrounded by nature. This is something that has always  made me happy. And I know it makes them happy as well. My almost 11 month old has been calmed by just seeing trees since the day he was born. My older two love being outside just to play in mud or pick up sticks and we let them. Simplify. It makes them happiest.
I want my children to have a childhood. Some of ours were cut too short in life. I'll fight to the death to make sure that doesn't happen to mine.
I am far from perfect. I have made mistakes in my life, just like everyone else. In my past, I have hurt the people closest to  me.I have not always chosen the right direction. I have procrastinated when I should have gotten up off my ass. I have sat for far too long waiting for things to fall into place. I have held myself back from things for fear of being judged. This is a learned behavior. One I don't want passing down to my children.
So let the judgement begin.
Judge me for putting off laundry so I could sit and play with my kids. Judge me for putting myself out on a limb, when that's the hardest thing for me to do. Judge me for having parties with my friends and family as often as possible just because I like to surround myself with them. Judge me for cutting ties with those that are poisoness regardless of genetic ties.
It is ingrained in me to stand idly by while the world and life pass me by. I have been taught to not fight for what I want, but to change course. And when I have resisted, I have been made to feel guilty along the way.
I have been resentful and then forgiving, resentful and forgiving too many times. That cycle for me is long gone. Focus lies only in the success of our little family we've created.
And I can't wait to start our new journey. Good things are coming and I can't wait to watch everything unfold!

So to you and yours, I wish you a very Happy New Year. And I hope all your dreams come true!
xo

5 comments: