Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Fa La La La LA

It's been far too long since I've blogged. And I just KNOW tons of noteworthy things have occurred in my life that I should share with you. But I don't remember a single one of them!
Aside from a conversation(via email of course) with my mother.
Tis that joyous time of year when we all do our best to get together with family and friends and celebrate Christmas. We put on our happy faces and sing carols in the car on the way to the various houses we visit. And attempt to dress our little ones up in dapper attire for the ever present bombardment of flashing cameras that are sure to come their way. We spend far too much money on things that kids and adults alike, don't even need. But it's all in the spirit of giving. I LOVE giving people presents! This is NOT sarcasm. I actually wish I had a huge bank account so I could go on that exciting hunt for the Perfect Gift for each and every one of the people I hold dear to my heart. Sadly, this is not the case. And while I have yet to succumb to grabbing Snuggies for everyone on my list, I've come dangerously close. Instead I've spent endless hours in the kitchen baking yummy cookies for everyone and have otherwise stuck to a strict list for my kids and the "secret santa" picks we have this year.
My kids are easy. Toys light up their lives. And the boxes they come in are even better! I don't have many adults on my list this year, but the ones that are there are getting cookies whether they like it or not.
The Hubbs and I have both drawn teenagers in the Secret Santa with his family this year. So while they're a little tricky, it's nothing I can't handle. Young whippersnappers just love cash. I can't quite bring myself to give ONLY bank cards or gift certificates, but I'll make sure to leave at least a little spending money along with whatever wrapped items I come across.
Our family's Christmas Eve will forever go down in my memory as a joyful event for me! It's spent with my in-laws every year at my brother in law's house. That really is the only house that can contain the entire family PLUS all the gifts and food and booze. We eat. We drink. We laugh. All the kids play. Then they all open their gifts from their Secret Santas. And the adults then go on to open a $20 limit grab bag thingy. It's what we need to do or  we'll all go broke! It does the trick. Then we all pack up the car, drive the little ones home, tuck them in their beds and proceed to Santafy the house.
Now, I am probably more excited about this than the kids are. Seeing the joy on their little faces is just breathtaking. And I can't wait!
BUT.........................
this year we will have extra bodies in our house on Christmas Day.
My folks are coming to town. (reminder: "strained relationship") Originally they had told me that they were coming the week in between Christmas and New Years.  But they then told me their date of arrival was 12/23. I don't remember much these days. But I was pretty sure Christmas fell on the 25th? At least this year.
Their plans (as emailed to me) were to spend Christmas Eve at my sister's house since her husband is on duty.  He's a firefighter. But that was it. Nothing else was in the itinerary. At all. It's 12/22 as I'm typing this. And I still don't know of any other plans of theirs. So I went out on a limb and invited them here for brunch and to spend the day with "the children". Selfish as it may sound, I refuse to let "intruders" in my house while the Christmas morning joy and unwrapping is going on. Judge all you want. I pushed those giant kids out.........I decide who gets to watch them open presents. And for now........it's just me and The Hubbs. I'm not ready to share yet. They grow up way too fast. When they are bored by Santa or no longer believe, be my guest and sit around my house to watch THAT. But the elated glow on the morning of 12/25 is reserved solely for the two of us to enjoy as their parents.
I'm even closing the blinds JUST IN CASE!
So in my email correspondence, I noted that any time after 10am would be fine. I'll have brunch. They can play with "the children". And then I'll make a nice Christmas dinner for us all.
This is where my story stems from.
What to cook? I have a recently stocked freezer full of venison. Do the parentals eat that sort of thing? Who knows? I'll ask.....................and so the email was sent.

ME: "Do you and Daddy eat venison? Or would you?"
THEM: "To our knowledge we have never had it."
siiiiiiiiigh.............my question was unanswered. UGH.
ME: "It's like beef, a little LESS gamey than lamb(which I know they eat often). Would you guys like to try it?"
THEM: "Whatever is convenient for you"
WHAT THE?!?!?!?!?!  Why are they incapable of answering with a simple YES or NO?!?!?! I couldn't care less if they don't want to eat it. My feelings won't be hurt. But for the sake of my sanity....Answer the FRIGGING question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to go grocery shopping and would like to have an inkling of what aisles to hit in the madness that is preChristmas Shoprite!.
And although that reply from them pissed the ever-lovin hell out of me,  I decided it would be best to refrain from the wise ass Hubbs up to tell him the crazy "conversation" I'd just had with the parentals. He was less than thrilled. I like to share :)
Still PO'd when I rolled out of bed in the morning, I had a snippy comment all set to email their way. Instead, I open my email and see this
THEM: "Looking forward to the venison and seeing you all on Christmas. Love Mom and Dad"

Ambien haze? Sleep emailing? I have not the slightest idea what was going on. Maybe they have a tag team email response thing going on? Quite frankly, the possibilities are exhausting to think about. So I left it at that.

FYI-red wine/pale ale is a perfect pairing for venison.
I will be enjoying both.

I wonder what pairs well with waffles?

No comments:

Post a Comment