Thursday, October 21, 2010

Hear dat?

Those are the cute little words that used to come out of my daughter's mouth when she first learned to talk! "Hear dat Mommy?" In all seriousness, right now all I hear is the white noise coming through the baby monitor and I an a happy woman! My past two weeks around here (okay I think I may have grossly underestimated that time period...what month is this?!) have been neurotically paced at best. I've actually been winded a few times. I wish I could sit here and say that I know the end is near, but mid February is the soonest I'll be able to sit back and relax. Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying all this....I just can't believe how quickly the days are flying by. I truly wish there were more hours in a day. (maybe then I'd manage to sneak some sleep in once in a blue moon....nah.) But by the time my day ends, my list of "to do's" has barely been touched and I'm totally wiped. I bet there's a Google clock in the works that actually extends the hours of a day. They're so crafty!

I was baking and decorating yet another batch of cupcakes for my son's Birthday around 11 o'clock last night.(insanity? quite possibly. I'll get back to you on that one) This time to bring to school to share with his friends. He's my oldest, so I think I might be just as excited as he is for all this to be happening. It's his first year in preschool and he was super psyched to celebrate his birthday with everyone there. Yay! Although I can't even lie by saying I didn't contemplate running to Dunkin Donuts on the way to school this morning instead of baking. Kids love munchkins! And I was sleepy. But instead of making the 174 different super heroes that he'd originally requested, I only made a batch of spider man cupcakes. Red icing, black web, red and blue sugar on the rims. Cute. And I knew it would be more than enough creativity for the rest of the 3-4 year olds in his class. And where I thought I'd done a rush job(they were definitely sub par), the teachers LOVED them. I slipped into the conversation that I do this on the side and they were REALLY psyched! Wanting business cards and to know what other than spider man could I make. :) One of the teachers just got engaged so they actually asked if I make wedding cupcakes. "YUP". So I told them I'd go home and email them some photos so they know I'm not all about the super heroes. I'd forgotten all about making treats for my little sister-in-law's bridal shower. It was this past summer and it was HOT. But I made white chocolate butterflies decorated with edible pearls and colored sugars. AND helped my mother in law make an awesome array of chocolate covered strawberries. Note to self : steer clear of the chocolate creations in the heat.  It all worked out in the end, but I actually couldn't get the A/C in my kitchen cool enough to let the butterfly chocolate set...I had to keep them in the fridge. Here are some pics.....

 


Yummy right?! And I don't even eat fruit and chocolate.....but these strawberries came out awesomely elegant! I helped make them with my Mother-In-Law. She's just the best and makes everything so fun. Like when she insisted we stop at the liquor store on the way to making the strawberries so we would be nice and relaxed about it! I mean...she had a great point....why be stressed around chocolate?! Then I went home that night and after putting the kids to bed, I decided to play around and see if I could make butterflies. They're sort of a theme for my sis-in-law. And as much as the heat wanted to ruin my big idea, I think they came out pretty good! The picture of the butterflies was actually taken inside my fridge because I was afraid to take them out of the cool air. HAHA And once everything was set up the next day at her shower, we placed the butterflies on top of the strawberries. It was so adorable. And no, I don't have a picture. I never seem to have a camera at these times. UGH.

I'm signing off now. Need to switch some laundry and then park in on the couch for some R&R once the Hubbs comes home from the gym. I only update my blog when he's not around. It's like my little affair with my own self. You know.....since I have no followers and am basically just typing to myself!
Sweet dreams

2 comments:

  1. You DO have a follower! ME!!!!! Yay! Unfortunately I haven't even had time to shower lately so I haven't been on the Internet much. Like now, I am reading your fabulous blog instead of showering. Damn, my husband is lucky. Anyhoo- I love your writing and I totally want to come for a visit and meet your Mother-in-law. She sounds like wicked fun. Now I am going to go back and read all your previous posts and comment on them! Muahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why my name is Brock up there. Hopefully I fixed it! :)

    ReplyDelete